Friday, May 23, 2014

Bentley reflections

Getting some perspective, getting some distance, from Bentley Blockade. At the moment, there is a residue, a thick nectar that’s sweet, sickly sweet, and I can’t but be stuck in it. My limbs are spent, my mind is gliding at an eagle’s pace. And I am grounded. Such relief to return to my cocoon, from where it took so long to emerge into an eco-social movement, out in the exposure to sunlight, wind, rain, out in the full glare of a community developing from nothing, the likes of which I’m not sure I’ll see again.

Today is a beautiful day. Having spent it catching up on my terribly neglected life admin, I think of the eagle’s nest, the high hill overlooking Gate C, a high point matched only by the Sacred Fire of Gate A. There a vigil keeper would meditate and watch for the movement of suspicious vehicles along undulating roads, over valleys that stretch to mountain ranges beyond.
  
I question my motives. I question my limitations. I meet these questions. They force me to look at them. Why was it so hard for me to turn up there for more than a few hours at a time? Perhaps the last few days have answered that question. The atmosphere of that place overwhelmed me. The distance of that place from normal, everyday life overwhelmed me. As quickly as it was building a village, it was deconstructing known paradigms. There was adrenalin pulsing through. There were ancestral earth forces pulsing through. There was enormous change concentrated at that place.

Where you would find TV and mindless entertainment in ordinary life, there you would find organic, communal, acoustic music around a campfire. Where you would find buildings, structures, blocks, there were curvaceous hills and creeks. Where you would find people staring at mobile phones, there were strangers and new friends connecting in real time, in real space. Where you would find regimentation, there was creativity and lateral thought. Where you would find fear, there was fearlessness, which grew and grew and grew.

21 May 2014, Lismore

No comments:

Post a Comment